AEA R84 Ribbon Microphone + TRP Mic Preamp Bundle
- product images
- product info
- product specs
The AEA R84 Big Ribbon is a high quality, professional ribbon microphone inspired by the legendary RCA 44 ribbon microphone.
The AEA R84 has a bi-directional (figure of eight) polar pattern obtained through a 1.8 micron thick pure aluminium ribbon, the same as on the AEA R44. The Large Ribbon Geometry (LRG) design uses a ribbon measuring 4.7mm wide by 60mm high and ensures a quick response, ideal for capturing transients. Perfect for solo and accent work it delivers superb performance in all situations, delivering a natural, warm and rich sound that complements any instruments from brass instruments, strings, piano, percussion, guitars and much more.
The R84 ribbon microphone offers a superb frequency response with beautiful solid lows and clean highs all the way up to 20kHz, and is capable of handling more that 165dB SPL at higher frequencies. Difference in colour between the front and the back of the microphone is obtained by a difference in blast production and allows for subtle colouration. The rear side can also be used to better control excessive plosives.
AEA R84 Big Ribbon Microphone Overview:
- Pure natural sound with quick, smooth transients, just as you hear it when you place your mic in the studio
- Go-to mic for multiple recording situations!
- Versatility that lets you capture brass instruments, strings, piano, percussion or vocals
- Extended bass and treble that handles high SPLs at high frequencies and delivers the details without shoving anything in your face
- Reliable ribbon mic with wide dynamic range
- Large Ribbon Geometry (LRG), 2.35" by 0.185" by 2 micron pure aluminum low-tension ribbon
- Able to handle better than 165 dB SPL at higher frequencies
- Figure 8 pattern for duo recording convenience
- Includes shock mount, 10-foot cable and sturdy foam-lined carrying case
- Handmade in California, United States
The AEA TRP is a high-input impedance two channel microphone pre-amp with fast response to both transients and overload recovery, specifically designed for ribbon microphones.
Simple to use, the AEA TRP pre-amp gives you Gain control, Level Control, HPF and phase reversal buttons for each channel. Phase reverse is particularly useful for setting your mikes up in a 'sum-and-difference', Mid & Side, pair, whilst the HPF allows you to govern the extent of the proximity effect when using close-miking applications.
By keeping the signal path to a minimum and using a specially designed JFET amplifier the AEA TRP can react quickly in the event of overload or in response to transients, as well as turning in ultra-low noise-floor figures for a clean, smooth response.
Audio Engineering Associates has done more to re-introduce classic ribbon microphone designs than almost anybody, for people who want the unique sound that their microphone range can bring - with the TRP, AEA provides you with the perfect preamp to complement them.
AEA TRP Overview:
- Gain is >83 dB at 1 kHz, balanced in to balanced out
- Positive polarity is pin 2 on XLRs, tip on 1/4" stereo jacks
- Balanced outputs clip above +28 dBu, 100k load
- THD at 1 KHz is .005% with 22 Hz to 22 kHz bandwidth
- EIN, A weighted noise figure is -130 dBu, 150 ohm input
- Microphone input electronics are DC coupled
- Mic inputs are zener protected from external P48 DC
- Mic inputs shut off while external DC is present
- High Pass filter is 12 dB per octave and -3 dB at 100 Hz
- Power supply provides two 17.25 VAC outputs
- No Phantom Power
- Gain switch is a 12 position Grayhill series 71
- Polarity reverse & High-pass pushbutton switches
- Power supply (P.S.) is external for minimum noise
- 115 VAC P.S. uses male grounded Edison power plug
- 230 VAC P.S. uses male recessed IEC power plug
- Power-on indication is by a front panel LED
- Finish is a tough, textured, black & gray powder coat
- Chassis is aluminum with rugged extruded endcaps
- Size: Half-rack wide, rack unit high 8.5" x 8.5" x 1.7"
- Weight: Chassis is 2 pounds, P.S. is 1.5 pounds
- Dual TRP steel rackshelf mounting option is 1 RU high
|Short Description||High-quality, professional ribbon microphone inspired by the legendary RCA 44 and High-quality mic preamp.|
|Demo in Store||No|
|Microphone Type||Ribbon Microphone|
|Valve / Solid State||No|
|High Pass Filter||No|
|Output Impedance||270 ohms|
- Related items / Alternative products
- Recently viewed items
Inc. VAT: £890.00 Ex. VAT: £741.67
Inc. VAT: £25.00 Ex. VAT: £20.83
Inc. VAT: £596.00 Ex. VAT: £496.67
Inc. VAT: £11.51 Ex. VAT: £9.59
Inc. VAT: £1,159.00 Ex. VAT: £965.83