The Avalon AD2022 is a 2U rack-mounted two channel Class A microphone preamp and DI.
Using the Avalon AD2022 is simple and straightforward - just plug in and play. Under the bonnet though is where the work goes on. The twin Class A circuitry on each channel of the AD2022 is designed with the shortest signal path possible to maximise signal strength and give you the best-sounding most transparent microphone preamp you can find. Components are top spec and every care is taken to ensure that you get low noise, clean and distortion-free results every time.
The AD2022 front panel layout is simple and intuitive, with variable input level and impedance controls, Pad and Phantom buttons, Phase reverse and Filter switches and a variable HPF Filter control before the rotary Output knob.
Widely used by professional studios and much admired for both its operation and its product philosophy, Avalon Design is in the business of putting the best into your hands. The Avalon AD2022 preamp continues that idea, delivering a truly transparent sound.
Avalon AD2022 Overview:
- Symmetrical Pure Class A design, two channels
- Microphone and hi-Z instrument inputs
- Gain switched 4dB steps plus +/- 3dB fine output trim
- Selectable microphone input impedance matching
- Low noise -126dB EIN
- Ultra high quality, low-ratio, balanced input transformer
- Balanced, high-current Class A output to +36dB
- Large illuminated analog VU meters and twin peak LED's
- Regulated phantom power supply +48v
- Input polarity phase reverse
- High headroom +36dB input before overload
- Input -20dB pad for high level signals
- Sealed silver relays for all signal routing
- External AC 150w toroidal power chassis
- Fully discrete Class A regulated audio power supplies
- Deep, musical sound-stage, transparent amplification
- Circuit Topology: Twin cascode FET and bipolar low level signal amplifiers,
- high-voltage, 100% discrete, symmetrical Pure Class A Input Type and Load: Transformer balanced low-ratio, 50, 150, 600 and 1k5 ohm input load selection
- Maximum Mic Level: +36dB balanced XLR pin 2 hot (with -20dB passive attenuator)
- Maximum Instrument Level +18dB at 100k ohms instrument input level, standard mono 1/4 inch jack
- Input Attenuator: -20dB resistive pre transformer primary, sealed silver relay Phantom Power: +48v regulated 50mA capability, sealed silver relay
- High Pass Filter: Passive, variable from 30Hz to 185Hz @ 6dB per octave, sealed silver relay.
- Polarity Reverse: Sealed silver relay on microphone input
- Gain Range Input: +20dB to +64dB in 4dB steps
- Gain Output Range: +/- 3dB variable conductive plastic potentiometer
- Maximum Output Level: +36dB balanced 600 ohms, DC coupled, discrete symmetrical Pure Class A
- Output Type: XLR connector, pin 2 hot
- Noise EIN Unweighted: -126dB 150 ohm
- Noise 20kHz Unweighted: -102dB
- Distortion THD, IMD: 0.05% nominal
- Frequency Response -3dB: 1Hz to 120kHz transformer limit
- System Bandwidth: DC to 1MHz
- Output Meter: High quality, illuminated analog VU meter 0dB = +4dB.
- Peak Meter: Bi-color LED's 0dB and +20dB peak detection circuit.
- AC power supply B2T: External toroidal 100V to 240V, 50-60Hz selectable,
- 150 watts maximum. Cables: 90V ac, 4 pin male power input connector, B2T required, internal DC regulation
- Dimensions: 19 x 12 x 3.5 in (482 x 305 x 89mm)
- Weight: 15lbs (6.8kg)
- Dimensions - Shipping Carton: 24 x 21.5 x 7.5 in (610 x 546 x 190mm)
- Weight - Packed: 25lbs (11.4kg)