AwTAC Channel Compressor 500 Series Compressor
- product images
- product info
- product specs
The AwTAC Channel Compressor is a single slot 500 Series FET compressor with true parallel compression.
The AwTAC Channel Compressor is designed to be versatile while offering incredible sound. From subtle transparent compression to extreme pumping are all effortlessly achieved. Reminiscent of old sounding compressors, the Channel Compressor behaves like channel compression works on a console; builds up well in a mix and is quick and easy to set.
Subtle, the Channel compressor will not over compress unintentionally and easy to set to stun. Transformer balanced input and output help deliver a big Iron sound and the weight associated, while carefully tuned discrete transistor amplifiers are used in the audio and side-chain circuit. The FET sidechain affects the gain of the input amp and can be thought of as an “auto-fader” offering very smooth sounding compression akin to optical compressors.
The AwTAC uses an adaptive ratio of around 10:1 but starting at 1:1, transitioning to 1.5:1 at the bottom of the soft knee slope, it then increases to 2:1, 3:1, 4:1, 6:1 and finally 10:1. The gain Reduction meter in addition to showing how much gain reduction is happening is also indicative of the ratio being used. The first -0.5 LED indicates a ratio of 1.5:1, the -1dB indicates 2:1 etc… all the way to -15dB where the compression will behave as a limiter with a 16:1 ratio.
A Blend knob lets you use parallel compression. Unlike traditional mix/dry knob or crossfader, the Blend adds the dry signal back to the compressor while the Output knob controls the amount of compressed signal is being let through. Both signals are then sent to an internal summing amp.
The AwTAC Channel compressor is stereo linkable and FET Side-chain circuit is matched in stereo pairs to offset between both channels. Although designed to be used in matched pair configuration the AwTAC Channel compressor is equally at ease in mono operations
The maximum output level of the AwTAC Channel Compressor is +18dBu which means they can be sent into distortion without clipping your AD converter adding all the vibe and colour you want directly in the analogue domain. Although the AwTAC is designed for clean operations, it will sound awesome when pushed to its limit.
AwTac Channel Compressor Main Features:
- Drive Pot sets the level to the FET Controlled Amp in the compressor circuit. Below unity, the Drive Pot will raise the level fed to the compressor. Above unity, the Drive Pot will raise the level of distortion in the compressor. Since the sidechain will not distort the FET controlled amp, the Drive Pot is there to add distortion when desired.
- HPF Switch engages a 6 dB/ Octave High Pass Filter to the side chain at 375 Hz. Seems like a high cut off point until you listen to it, the gradual slope allows your low end to breathe for a much more natural sounding vibe. Absolutely excellent on program material.
- Reduction Pot controls the amount of compression applied to your input signal. Turn clockwise for more compression, fully counterclockwise for Off.
- Attack Switch is a three position toggle switch which selects Fast (1.5 mS) in the up position, Medium (15 mS) in the down position and Slow (40 mS) in the middle position.
- Release Pot sets the release time from 75 mS to 3.4 Seconds. Fastest setting is full counterclockwise.
- Auto Switch engages an auto release circuit when the toggle is in the up position. When engaged, Release Pot orientation has no effect. The auto circuit is program dependent and very, very, smooth.
- Blend Pot is the fader for the Blend Amplifier which sets output level for the Parallel, uncompressed, circuit. Only the Parallel Blend signal is effected by this pot. Blend circuit provides +9dB of gain “in hand” similar to what is found on a proper console. Unity gain is denoted by the hash mark at 1 O’ Clock. Full Counter Clockwise mutes the Parallel Blend signal.
- Output Pot is the fader for the Make-up Amp which sets the output level for the Compression Circuit. Only the compressed signal is effected by this Pot.
- Bypass Switch activates the relay controlled true bypass. In the up position, the compression and parallel blend circuits are engaged. In the down position the entire circuit AND transformers are bypassed at the edge connector: input signal comes in off the edge connector, through the relay and back out to the edge connector completely bypassing the Channel Compressor circuitry. When powered off, the unit defaults to “bypass” so signal will flow through with the rack off, no need to unpatch.
- Meter is an 8 segment peak detecting LED meter which displays gain reduction only in the following steps: -0.5 dB, -1 dB, -2 dB, -3dB, -4 dB, -6 dB, -10dB, -15dB The meter is always on, even with the unit in bypass.
|Short Description||Single-slot 500 Series FET compressor with true parallel compression|
|Demo in Store||Yes|
|Valve / Solid State||No|
|High Pass Filter||No|
|Side Chain Input||No|
- Related items / Alternative products
- Recently viewed items
Inc. VAT: £999.00 Ex. VAT: £832.50
Inc. VAT: £1,299.00 Ex. VAT: £1,082.50
£259.00Inc. VAT: £228.00 Ex. VAT: £190.00
Inc. VAT: £36.00 Ex. VAT: £30.00
Inc. VAT: £329.00 Ex. VAT: £274.17