Empirical Labs Distressor EL8XS
- product images
- product info
- product specs
The Empirical Labs Distressor EL8XS combines two EL8X analogue compressors which are linked for true stereo operation and feature the infamous British mode "All Buttons In" which recreates the aggressive sound obtained on the classic 1176LN.
Empirical's legendary Distressor offers classic knee compression and gently provides user-programmable warm harmonic distortion, ideal for treating harsh, unforgiving digital timbres and making them easier on the ear. Classic knee sound, Programmable analogue distortion, advanced built-in sidechain EQ, and 8 unique curves.
The Empirical Labs Distressor EL8XS is extremely versatile, offering the choice between subtle and transparent compression of the EL8 or the more aggressive and characterful “British” sound thanks to the on-board British mode switch. This mode changes the knee characteristics of the compressor to make it much more aggressive.
The Distressor EL8XS can provide the aggressive character of the British Mode to all the ratios provided of the compressor making it far more flexible than the original 1176 it was trying to emulate. With faster attack release time, the THD level starts to rise and the compressor starts sounding much more distorted and compression will become far less smooth.
Originally designed as an analogue compressor the Distressor EL8XS also adds 2nd;and 3rd order harmonics to emulate tape saturation and classic vintage valve compression. Extensive side-chain EQ curves are provided offering a wide range of possibilities while the Binary Stepped Interface makes it an incredibly flexible and powerful compressor.
Empirical Labs Distessor EL8-XS Analogue Compressor Main Features:
• "All buttons in" British Mode switch with LED
• Frequency response: 2Hz to 160kHz in clean audio mode (+0, -3 dB). Response is shaped in distortion modes (Dist 2, Dist 3)
• Dynamic range: 110 dB from max. output to min. output in 1:1 mode.
• Distortion ranges between .02% and 20% depending on distortion mode and release times set on front panel.
• DC coupled output - High quality input caps.
• Input impedance: 20K ohms
• Output impedance: < 75 ohms
• Time constants: Attack range 50uS - 50mS
• Release range: .05 sec to 3.5 seconds, normal modes and up to 20 seconds in 10:1 opto mode. Time constants are dependant on ratio.
• Metal chassis
• Dimensions: 1.75" H x 10" D x 19" W
|Short Description||Stereo pair of Distressors (two mono units factory calibrated inc stereo link cables) including the British Mode & Stereo Image Link options.|
|Demo in Store||Yes|
|Valve / Solid State||Solid State|
|Channel Count||Dual Channel|
|Attack||50uS to 50mS|
|Release||.05 sec to 3.5 seconds, up to 20 seconds in 10:1 opto mode|
|Ratio||1:1, 2:1, 3:1, 4:1, 6:1, 10:1, 20:1 & Nuke|
|High Pass Filter||N/A|
|Side Chain Input||No|
- Related items / Alternative products