Empirical Labs Fatso EL7X
- product images
- product info
- product specs
The Empirical Labs EL7X FATSO has been designed to reproduce the warm, ambient sounds produced by older valve processors and magnetic tape machines. It provides digital control of analogue stereo processing, with 4 types of processing available on each channel. These include harmonic and distortion generation, high frequency saturation (warmth), transformer and tape head emulation, and classic knee compression.
The Empirical Labs FATSO EL7X is a powerful update to the FATSO Jr which includes a new Eleven mode which replaces the GP Ratio and recreates the sound of a UREI 1176LN in 20:1 with slow attack and fast release. This mode gives you the powerful compressed sound associated with 1176 but retains the transients and works great on vocals, bass, acoustic guitars making them sit very nicely in a mix.
In addition to this new compression, the FATSO has gone under the knife to improve operation with a brand new microprocessor to replace discrete logic reducing current draw by an impressive 20%. In addition a new interface operation has been implemented to improve workflow. For instance pressing and holding a button for a second will move the control one step back avoiding unnecessary cycling through different settings. An additional Stereo Link option has also been added; by holding both COMP buttons for a second all parameters will be controlled by either side of the controller instead of the Left controlling all settings.
New LEDs have also been employed to make operation much easier with the Tracking mode features a dedicated LED, while the Spank mode has now a blue LED moved away for the others to indicate whether it is on or not as well as indicating that it can be used in conjunction with other ratios.
More than a simple compressor the FATSO features four different types of processing:
• Harmonic Generator and Soft Clipper
• High Frequency Saturation
• Transformer and Tape Head Emulation
• Classic Compression
Four main compression settings are available from SSL-like “Buss” and “Spank” compressors, the aforementioned Eleven hard 1176-style compression and the Opto-like Track. The Warmth option lets you control high frequencies saturation with seven options to choose from. Finally switchable transformer circuits are also featured providing Neve or API-like transformers saturation (Tranny) with low order and transient clipping and inter-modular distortion and more.
Empirical Labs EL7X Fatso Main Features:
• A new ratio "Eleven", which emulates a favorite classic compressor setting.
• New Two Color Front Panel
• Improved Logic
• Separate TRACKING LED, more intuitive display.
• Backwards stepping when a front panel button is held.
• New extended stereo link functions. More choices of how to lock compressors.
• Freq. Response is 2 Hz to 60 kHz in clean audio mode (+0, -3 dB).
• Dynamic Range 110 dB from maximum output (20%THDsoft clipping) to minimum output. Greater than 100 dB signal to noise.
• Distortion Ranges between .06% and 20% depending on mode and settings.
• DC coupled Input and Outputs
• High quality audio caps used internally.
• Compressor Time Constants - Attack range 1mS - 60mS. Release range .05 sec to 3.5 seconds. Attack and Releases are fixed by the compression type selected.
• Cooler running Logic Circuitry, resulting in an overall cooler operating temperature.
• Improved overall noise floor, due to lower logic power consumption.
|Short Description||designed to reproduce the warm, ambient sounds produced by older valve processors and magnetic tape machines through harmonic and distortion generation, high frequency saturation (warmth), transformer and tape head emulation, and classic knee compression.|
|Demo in Store||N/A|
|Valve / Solid State||Solid State|
|Channel Count||Dual Channel|
|Attack||1mS to 60mS|
|Release||.05 sec to 3.5 seconds|
|High Pass Filter||N/A|
|Side Chain Input||Yes|
- Related items / Alternative products