Focal SM9 (Pair)
- product images
- product info
- product specs
The Focal SM9 is a high class active studio reference monitor with an impressive stereo image, unprecedented reproduction of the micro details of the signal and dynamics.
The Focal SM9 can in fact be thought of as two different monitors, a 3-way monitor with passive radiator and a 2-way nearfield monitor. Switching between these two modes is easy, all you need to do is activate which mode you want on the side of the monitor. In Focus mode, the bass woofer is deactivated and the crossover points change so that the midrange woofer ranges from 90Hz to 20kHz (+/-3dB) giving you the ability to hear how a mix transfers on different band limited systems. With the Focus mode off the LF woofer is activated as well as the passive radiator and as such the frequency response extends from 30Hz all the way up to 40kHz.
The SM9 features Focal’s unique W Composite sandwich cone technology found on the Twin and Solo 6 which combined with the Beryllium tweeters, provide a truly accurate and detailed sound with smooth high frequencies. The 11” passive radiator improves the accuracy in the sub bass region with the passive radiator reproducing frequencies accurately compared to sound ports.
Additional controls include a comprehensive EQ section with LF Shelving, LF EQ, LMF EQ, MF EQ and HF Shelving and a Hi-Pass Filter to ensure that they work in almost any room. The LF Shelving offers 3dB of boost or cut between 30Hz and 250Hz compensating while the LF EQ offers a similar 3dB cut or boost at around 50Hz and covering half an octave. The combination of the two is extremely powerful, ensuring that the overall tone doesn’t affect the fundamental frequencies in the bass region. Following the LF Shelving and LF EQ is the LMF EQ with a central frequency of 160Hz and bandwidth of an octave which is very useful to counteract the adverse effects of having the monitors sitting on a desk, lowering their primary reflection coming from the console. Then the MF EQ has a central frequency of 1kHz with a wide bandwidth to ensure the level of presence that can be obscured by the room. Finally the HF Shelving lets you control the frequency levels between 4.5kHz and 40kHz with +/-3dB of gain.
Focal SM9 Active Studio Monitor Overview:
- Frequency response : 3-way mode : 30Hz - 40kHz (+/- 3dB) / 40Hz - 20kHz (+/- 1dB) - 2-way mode (Focus) : 90Hz - 20kHz (+/- 3dB)
- Maximum SPL : 3-way mode : 116dB SPL (peak @ 1m) / 2-way mode (Focus) : 106dB SPL (peak @ 1m)
- Input : Type / Impedance : Electronically balanced / 10 kOhms / Connector : XLR / Sensitivity : Adjustable, +4dBu or -10dBV
- Bass : 400W, class AB
- Midrange- : 100W, class AB
- Treble : 100W, class AB
- Power supplies : Local supply : 230V (3.15A fuse), 115V (6.3A) - Connection: IEC inlet and detachable power cord
- Passive radiator : 11WPP52, 11” (27cm) Focal “W” composite sandwich cone piston, extra wide inverted surround radiator
- Subwoofer: 8W7571, 8” (20cm) Focal “W” composite sandwich cone driver
- Midrange : 6W0452, 6.5” (16.5cm) Focal “W” composite sandwich cone driver
- Tweeter : TB872, 1” pure Beryllium inverted dome tweeter
- Construction : 0.88”(22mm) and 1.2” (30mm) panels with internal braces
- Finish : Black natural veneering top and bottom panels, black body
- Dimensions : 12.8” x 19.6” x 15.6” (320mm x 490mm x 390mm)
- Net weight : 77lb (35kg)
|Short Description||True reference monitor with impressive stereo image, unprecedented reproduction of the micro details of the signal and dynamics. Innovative reference speaker offering a 2-way and 3-way monitor in a single cabinet.|
|Demo in Store||Yes|