Part2 of our NAMM 2018 roundup of new and exciting products due this coming year...
Overstayer | Modular Master
Overstayer Recording Equipment Inc showcased their new Modular Master MCS04 which is a compressor and EQ with a ceiling control that allows you to define the headroom without changing the gain. There's a passive 'Pultec type' EQ plus some contouring which is similar to the Emphasis circuit in the rest of the current Overstayer range and extra Harmonic / Drive controls. One we look forward to hearing! Price TBA
More Info: Overstayer Recording Equipment | KMR
Looptrotter Engineering | 500 Series Console
Looptrotter Engineering had a new 500-Series modular console on display (with some custom EQ modules lent by Sylvia Massy on the right-hand side). Featuring a dedicated centre section and routing, 6 auxs, Monitor control, Groups and Meterbridge - and starting from around $14k this looks like an interesting option should you want to create your own custom 500-Series console.
More Info: Looptrotter Engineering | KMR
Waldorf | Quantum
Waldorf had their amazing sounding Quantum Hybrid Polyphonic Synth on demonstration. Apart from it combining digital synthesis with analogue architecture, having 4 Synthesis types per 8 voice, 6 LFO's and 6 Envelopes per voice, two Analog Filters and 3 Digital Effects...it looks to be shipping next month! Also on show was their 'String Machine' STVC. Price TBA.
More Info: Waldorf | KMR
Amphion | BaseTwo25's
Amphion were demonstrating their new BaseTwo25's (note the stack of amps to run this system and cross-over box on top). The BaseTwo is similar to the BaseOne but it has two 25cm woofers mounted in the sides, has more headroom and better response between 50-10hz. The opposing force of these drivers helps provide extra stability in the imaging of the Two18's when placed on top. Price TBA
More Info: Amphion | KMR
Universal Audio | Arrow
Universal Audio showed products that are also shipping as I type. Firstly the Arrow, then the OX (which was previewed at SummerNAMM) and finally news of a Thunderbolt 3 Option Card for Apollo rackmounts which will begin shipping in Spring 2018.
More Info: Universal Audio | KMR
- Desktop 2x4 Thunderbolt 3-powered audio interface with class-leading 24-bit/192 kHz audio conversion
- RealTime UAD-2 Solo Core Processing
- Premium, no-compromise analogue reactive load box for tube guitar amps
- 5 finely-tuned guitar amp attenuation levels — from off, to whisper quiet, to full band volume
- Front-panel “Rig” control for instant, album-quality mic and speaker cabinet emulations
- UA Dynamic Speaker Modeling emulates speaker breakup and cone cry
- World-class Universal Audio EQ, compression, delay, and reverb effects built-in
- Selectable 4, 8, and 16-Ohm operation
UA Thunderbolt 3 Option Card for Apollo
- Thunderbolt 3 Option Card will provide Two Thunderbolt 3 USB-C ports for daisy-chaining Apollos or peripherals
- Requires macOS Sierra/High Sierra or Windows 10 w/Anniversary (64-bit Edition)
- Thunderbolt 3 bandwidth delivers up to 40 Gbps for connecting hard drives, dual 4K monitors etc
AVID | ProTools 2018
AVID has dropped the numerical updates to now go for a yearly number showing you which version of Pro Tools you are running. As we were at 12.8.3 perhaps the number 13 is unlucky, so from now on (for this year at least) Pro Tools will be called ProTools 2018 and have new updates such as:
- Track Presets
- Target Playlist for comping
- Retrospective MIDI
- iLOK Cloud
- Mix Window EQ curve views
- Easier Cloud Collaboration
- Network Licensing (coming soon)
More info covered in depth by the very useful AVID videos:
Studio Electronics | Boomstars
Studio Electronics were showcasing their NEW Boomstars
More Info: Studio Electronics | KMR
Apogee Electronics | 2x6 Special Edition
Apogee Electronics announced their new 2x6 Special Edition AD/DA module for their flagship Symphony MKII which has been designed specifically for Mastering Engineers, "offering the highest quality AD/DA conversion of any Apogee converter ever". Available in Thunderbolt or HD configurations.
Apogee also released the Waves Sound Grid compatible Symphony MkII as well as the all-new DualPath FX Rack software. Designed specifically for the Ensemble Thunderbolt and Element audio interfaces.
More Info: Apogee | KMR
Coil Audio | CA-286
Coil Audio really caught our attention with their all valve designs and amazing metalwork. Their CA-286 Mic/Line amps are a two-stage amplifier based on circuits by Langevin, Collins, Gates and Telefunken during the 1950's and 1960's including EF86/6267 pentode valves.
Available in the PS2 3u rack or the larger stunning 6 Channel PS6 rack.
More Info: www.coilaudio.com
More NAMM News PART 1 Link Below: